Experiments on Animals For and Against Essay
Millions of experiments are used in different fields every year. Animal testing is necessary for both commercial and scientific needs. Experiments help to produce new types of medication and drugs, which is extremely important during the COVID-19 pandemic. Tests make it possible to identify products’ toxicity as well as possible side effects. Despite all the benefits, people have divided into two groups.
The first one introduces proponents who are sure these tests are vital for humanity. They say such experiments make it possible to save people’s lives. What’s more, tests help to develop new treatments and cures that will help not only humans but also animals.
Opponents form the second group with the idea of animal testing immorality. They say there is something unnatural or even inhumane to hold experiments on live organisms. Instead, they offer different alternatives that may also come in handy when developing new products.
The History of Experiments on Animals
According to the available sources, the first-mentioned animal tests took place long ago in 500 BC. Legendary scientists like Aristotle conducted them. They eventually gave birth to various sciences. Ancient Greece was not the only country that used animals to make different tests.
However, at those times they were only held to test some of the organism functions rather than developing medication. In Ancient Rome, they practiced vivisection using human bodies to make the dissertation of the living organism. However, the mutilation of the human body was prohibited. Scientists had nothing to do but to use animals for their work.
Animal Testing in Present Times
In the modern world, the situation looks Almost the same with one important difference. We do not need to discover new organism functions. What we need is to know how to treat and restore them. This is where experiments on animals help to develop new treatments or vaccines.
This actor is extremely important in the face of coronavirus infection. Countries try to create an effective vaccine as soon as possible in order to stop the pandemic and bring people back to normal life. At the same time, some experts say that using animals will not ensure positive results. The only way to ensure success is to skip experiments on animals and test the probe on humans no matter if it puts their lives at risk or not.
For and Against Experiments on Animals
To understand both sides of the dispute, we need to figure out the main cons and pros of animal testing.
- In-Depth Research – for thousands of years, animal testing has been the most effective way to develop effective drugs and medication. If it was not for experiments, we would never be able to cope with some of the common diseases and viruses. Besides, animals helped to improve the level of healthcare as well as the overall well-being.
- Improved Health – have you ever thought of where the vitamins you use come from? The same thing is with cosmetics, pharmacy, and other healthcare and beauty products we use every day without any risk to harm our health.
- Safe Treatment – tests guarantee safe drugs and medication. They help to identify possible side effects and other negative influences on the organism. No one ever thinks of the significant threat medication can bring. If it were not for animal testing, we would make experiments on ourselves every time we take a pill.
- No Alternatives – there are no other ways to simulate a human’s organism. It is not about people’s cruelty who do not care about fauna. It is about a lack of alternatives. Only animals can copy some of our functions and reactions to specific components. The data science generated can appear to be lifesaving for some of the patients.
- Captivity and Fatalities – when used for tests, animals spend all their lives in captivity. What’s more, experiments usually result in fatalities. Some animals get injured, others will never be able to live their natural lives.
- Useless Products – animal testing never guarantees positive results. So, many substances and new products are never used because of the danger and side effects they may cause. In other words, animals had no reason to die or get injured. The sacrifice is useless.
- Huge Costs – testing price is always huge. Companies not only need to find a rare species for a specific experiment but also create a laboratory environment where the process will be close to the simulation object. In addition, we need to take into account long-lasting tests or experiments that take place over and over again. Huge corporates create their own animal breeds, which also results in huge costs.
- We are not the same – no matter how close some of the animals can be to humans, we are not the same. We have different organism functions that react to various events in a different way. A vaccine that will treat an infected mouse may kill a person. Some experienced opponents say that we cannot totally rely on animal testing results. They do not guarantee 100% safety. As a rule, animals are taken away from their comfortable environment. They suffer from stress and transformed organism reactions to meet new conditions. It means that the same animal can have several different reactions to the same drug or medication depending on the environment and external factors. This fact also makes experiments useless.
Some may say that it is all about a personal choice. Proponents are sure that experiments on animals may help. Opponents are sure tests are nothing but a waste of lives, time, and money. We also need to consider ethical aspects that overshadow other pros. On the other hand, one can hardly argue that if it were not for tests, we would never see effective treatments that helped humanity to evolve over time as well as improve our well-being and health. However, the tables may turn in the face of a new epidemical threat. A personal choice always matters, but when the entire civilization is under threat, personal opinion hardly matters.